Thursday, May 17, 2007

In the news

Framingham State College
Hilltop Happenings Alumni News
Perspectives

Katherine Almy Mahon

Using what I learned at FSC about counseling and providing interactive nutrition education, I’ve created my own company. My husband and I are launching our business: Potluck Puzzles PotluckPuzzles.com

I have created two books full of fun, interactive nutrition puzzles that are designed to teach/reinforce important concepts in diabetes education. Using what I’ve learned by working as the lead dietitian for outpatient nutrition at Newton Wellesley Hospital, I’ve incorporated many points that are of interest to patients. We see many different applications for our educational puzzle books in the healthcare and diabetes community. Our first big sale has been to a diabetes camp in California!

In creating these puzzles, I often think back to my days at FSC, where I learned so much about counseling techniques. I clearly remember when we videotaped ourselves providing diet instructions and watched one another's videos in class. Watching my own video as well as the other videos was a somewhat painfully embarrassing experience, but it was an effective learning tool. I still smile when I think of a classmate who in her video said: “I am going to educate you on…” What a difference the choice of language makes. I also think of the health fair that we put on for our Community Nutrition class and our Community Nutrition internship projects, where we needed to be certain that our poster boards included interactive activities and evaluations of the learning points.

My experiences at FSC have made a strong impact on how I counsel patients and on the content of our Potluck Puzzles books.

Framingham State College

http://www.framingham.edu/alumni/Hilltop%20Happenings%20April%20Issue_2007.htm

No comments: